Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Big, Beautiful, Blue Eyes


I entered her home slightly nervous. I hoped it would be a good experience, and mostly, a fulfilling one – as my new job description just wasn’t doing it for me.

I walked in the door, and her mother greeted me so pleasantly. The house wasn’t very put together; you could tell her mother’s hands were full.

Her older sister came home and demanded her mother’s attention. The baby cried from the other room. Her mother was able to balance the attention so perfectly.

Then, her grandmother came into the house, carrying her. She had a head of soft curls, and big blue eyes. She was small and frail. My eyes met hers, and we just clicked. I stood, and put my hand gently on hers. She held me back.

After the meeting was over, I didn’t want to leave. I walked into the room where she was playing, and saw her bouncing to music on a DVD she was watching. I even caught a smile. I walked up to her and put my hand out. She engaged me immediately and placed her hand into mine. I played peek-a-boo with her; she smiled.

On my way out, I figured I’d try my luck. “Bye-bye,” I said to her, with a smile. Her big blue eyes met mine again, and she lifted her right hand and waved softly. She didn’t know it, and her mother didn’t know it, but that wave made my day.

Later that evening, at the end of my exercise class, the instructor turned off the lights. She advised us to lie down, put our flat on the floor to ground us, and our hands on our abdomens to let it all sink in. “Think of something you did today,” she started to say. “Something accomplishing. It may be getting up and going to work when you felt like staying in bed. It may even have been trudging out in this weather to come to this class. There is so much negative in our lives, let us focus to the positive for just a few minutes.”

And so I did. I closed my eyes and her image came into view. Her smile. Her perseverance. Her wave.

I held on and didn’t let go, because I learned that something so small can mean something so accomplishing for me.

The other members of the class started to get up and gather their things, but I lay down for just another moment, and held on to those big, beautiful blue eyes.

1 comment:

Floating Reflections said...

Beautiful and powerful, could almost feel the tenderness. Glad you received it and that it lifted you up.