Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Mission

I'm just a human being; a nothing, a nobody.

Yet one morning, eight years ago, I opened my eyes and thought, "I want to make a difference." Let me begin by stating that I really don't have a big mouth. In fact, I used to never speak up, state my opinion, or raise my hand in class in high school. I just got lost in the crowd and did my thing.

But when I made the decision to make a difference, I knew there was no turning back. I knew I wanted to help children, but more so, I wanted to change lives.

I began working with children on the autism spectrum, determined to break through the invisible barrier and into their world. I, of all people, was going to get them to speak, to learn, and to learn HOW to learn. And so, my journey began, and eight years later, I graduated magna cum laude with a degree in Psychology. So you see, it *can* happen . . .

But I won't stop here. I'm determined to tap into the system, and to do anything in my power to make a difference in the lives of children. That means visiting a young girl in the hospital and getting her to smile; helping her realize she is not alone. It means persisting until a selectively mute child utters a word, and watching a smile form on his face, in satisfaction, at the thought of overcoming a fear. It also means removing a young boy from an abusive situation in order to provide him with a more stable, loving environment -- a better life.

The stories posted on this blog are true, however names have been changed to protect identities. I invite you to read and to be inspired, for these children have changed my life, even though I had originally set out to change theirs.

But, as I've mentioned earlier, I won't stop here. I'm on a mission; a mission to change the world.

No comments: