Monday, May 28, 2007

The Transition

My next two sessions with Ben were spent in the living room just as our first session was. I felt that no matter how Ben presented himself on that first day, it was still important to establish rapport with him and not rush into things too quickly. ABA therapy is intense and not always fun for the children. I didn’t want him to get overwhelmed and scared. After all, he wasn’t even two years old yet.

Our living room sessions occurred with me sitting on the floor, and Ben sitting either next to me or on my lap. Our toys would be around us, and well, so would everyone else. Sophia, for one, was really starting to get on my nerves. She didn’t stop talking for a second, and would grab all the toys she could at once, interrupting our “session” numerous times. I was anxious to get into a quiet room with Ben so that our therapy sessions would be more effective. At the end of the third session I spoke with his foster mom, Sally, and explained to her why it was important for Ben and I be alone in a quiet room for the session, and how distractions made it difficult for Ben to focus. I added that perhaps at a later date, I would allow Sophia to come into the session so that she can facilitate things like turn taking. (I also said that because I figured it would buy me some time without Sophia constantly in my face. That, of course, didn’t stop her from attacking me at the door when I arrived for every session to follow, asking, “Can I come in today??”)

The following week, Ben and I graduated to a quiet room. His foster mom set up a cute little wooden table with two chairs in the corner of her bedroom. Ben was fine with the new change, and was content as long as my toys were there. He was genuinely so reinforced by everything I brought – I was so captivated by that. Sophia, on the other hand, wasn’t too thrilled. I offered a compromise: Rather than having her join our sessions, I allowed her to come in and play with the toys while I wrote my notes at the end of the session. Every few minutes, though, I would hear knocks on the door, and then I’d have to gently remind her that it wasn’t time yet.

For the remainder of the week, Ben and I worked on turn taking, three-piece puzzles, eye contact, pointing, and compliance. That last one was sort of a challenge for him. Once seated, Ben was pretty much fine, but he simply wouldn’t come sit at the table when I asked him to. Typical almost-two year old ;)

And so, our first week in our new room was successful. However, a problem remained intact….

No comments: