Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Pointing Problem

Ben and I continued to progress, despite the annoying programmer problem. He also remained genuinely reinforced by the toys and games that I brought, as long as I'd rotate them accordingly. We finally established a system where Ben would come to the table when it was time to work - a huge accomplishment.

We did have one little problem, though, in regard to pointing. I always found this program essential and a priority, because if pointing wasn't established, the children would just grab things - not good. And of course the point of the therapy setting is to generalize learned skills outside the therapy room. Pointing was one of those important ones, because many of these children are non-verbal (especially at 1-3 years) and pointing allows them to communicate appropriately.

Ben did have the fine motor skills to point, because I had seen him do it on ocassion. In addition, nothing had given me the idea that Ben couldn't do it, because I watched how he would move his hands and fingers when he'd play with some of my toys. For example, he was able to pick up a puzzle piece just fine, grabbing onto the little peg at the top.

Yet every time he wanted something, he'd moan and try to grab it. Immediately I would physically prompt a point with his cute little finger, and then he'd get really mad at me. Sometimes he would tantrum and throw the item on the floor, or run away from the table. I didn't give in because I knew Ben was aware of what my purpose was, and what was expected of him. He was so smart, he knew exactly what he had to do. He just refused.

In the past I would often make it obvious that I was ignoring the child during behavior like this - but it does depend on the child. If I deemed it necessary, I would insist on prompting through the child's screaming (I'm not heartless - I promise!) and then cheered until my voice was gone, when the task was complete. However, Ben knew he was being silly, and so I didn't bother. I'd just make it very apparent that I was ignoring him, because when he'd run from the table, he'd try and meet my eyes with a nasty grin ;)

This went on for about two weeks. Sally (his foster mom) would always say things like "oh, Ben was bad today" or "wow, I guess he doesn't like you" or even "I guess therapy isn't working, huh" -- all comments that are extremely common for parents/caretakers to mention when things didn't run 100% smoothly.

I explained to her that his screaming or even tantruming doesn't constitute failure. If he wouldn't scream or persist, what was my purpose? I am there to teach him proper communication and necessary skills, and that's a difficult thing to do. Stumbling blocks are expected. You just have to know how to handle them. And I was prepared.

No comments: