Wednesday, June 6, 2007

...Problem?

It all depends on the way something is viewed - a lesson for life.

After two weeks of our "pointing problem" I wondered if it was really a problem. You see, Ben was communicating with me. He wasn't avoiding eye contact or interaction; he was playing a game. When he'd run away to the table, he would look for my eyes, and when they'd meet, he'd smirk and bury his face in his hands.

Ben just wasn't reinforced enough at the table - this little game of his was much more fun! Now my job was to make table time even more exciting.

I constantly reinforced his nice sitting and sang songs with motions with him - he loved that! Soon our little pointing mishap was history.

No words can describe just how tickled pink I was the very next day.

I pulled out a magnet book and bubbles, and asked him "Ben, what do you want?" I watched his little index finger form into a point, and he moved it toward the bubbles.

I screamed "hooray!" as I lifted him into the air and blew bubbles around him.

Ben looked me straight in the eye, and smiled.

No comments: