Saturday, December 29, 2007

Progress

I was sitting in Ben's room, taking turns with him building blocks at his little table.

"Your turn," I said to him.

"Your turn," he mimicked.

"Ben, look at me." His blue eyes met mine. "Listen, and wait," I told him. "Your turn - you go." I put my finger to my mouth as if to say "shh" and Ben was quiet. He then took his turn.

"You.." I prompted.

"Your turn!" he squealed. I giggled. He did too.

I put the blocks away, then asked him, "what's your name?"

"Ben Donaldson."

I lifted him up out of his chair and threw him up in the air until he was laughing uncontrollably. “Yay!” I shouted. “You said your FULL name!”

I heard Lisa laugh from the other room. Then we all laughed together. Then I remembered. Time was ticking.

What, I thought... what was I going to do without this child in my life?

3 comments:

Floating Reflections said...

I love those eureka moments, they make up for all the frustration till then and you know that the gard work u put in was not in vain.

halfshared said...

I hope Bens foster mom understood your close connection and allowed you to visit after your time with him was up..but why play guessing games? I'll wait patiently to hear what ended up happening.

Anonymous said...

Don't you get to visit often to make sure he's doing well?