Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Am I the Only One Who Cares?

I left Sally's house about 45 minutes after I had arrived thinking I was going to have a session with Ben. As I walked to my car, I couldn't help but wonder why I hadn't received a message from Jessica, or even the autism coordinator of my agency. I would have thought the normal thing to do would be to touch base with me. Why had I heard this all from Sally directly? After all, she had told me Ben was taken away days before. Come to think of it, why hadn't Sally called me before my session??

I couldn't help but feel angry. I was angry at everyone - Sally, Jessica, Social Services, and my entire agency. I was angry at the world for our messed up system. What did they all expect me to do? I had been working with Ben for about five months now. Was I supposed to just forget he ever existed and say "aw, poor kid, got taken away, oh well. On with life!" Grrr, that made me so mad.

I had no choice but to take initiative myself. I put a call into Jessica when I arrived back at home. When she called me back she let me know she had known Ben had gone with Social Services. I wanted to ask her why she didn't call to tell me, but I held back. After all, what was the point of that? No use crying over spilled milk.

"I guess we'll be in touch," was Jessica's last sentence before our goodbye.

So apparently I was expected to just move on. Interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to your blog by mistake and am really enjoying your story. Make sure to post often.... I'll keep checking back here...

psyched said...

Anonymous, glad you're enjoying :)

I will get more posts up real soon, so definitely keep checking!