Saturday, July 7, 2007

Run That By Me Again?

The weeks flew by. Ben took very small steps, but there was noticeable improvement. Some days he would happily enter the room ready to work, and other days he would persist indefinitely. There was really no way to tell what mood Ben would be in upon my arrival, however I did continue to enjoy my sessions with him because he was so engaging and loveable. Every moment of our session I would wonder how such a child could be put into foster care. What mom wouldn't want this child??

Before I new it, the weather got chilly and Thansksgiving was approaching. Sally called to cancel our Thursday session. Cancelling on a holiday made perfect sense, but now that I thought of it, she had cancelled numerous times. I never questioned her reasoning, but our conversations were quite strange. She would always call at the last second and give me some lame excuse - it almost seemed as if they were made up on the spot. Something never sat right with her - but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was.

I sort of had mixed feelings about Ben's foster family. Here was a couple that took in children from all walks of life - including one with special needs - but then something weird would happen that would cause me to question them entirely. There was just something unesettling there - maybe even trashy.

The following Monday after Thanksgiving I arrived bright and early for our session. As I was getting my things ready, Sally began talking to me about how she had gone out shopping on Black Friday for some bargains.

"I met some Jewish guys in Wal-mart at 6 in the morning," she said. She tried to stifle a laugh, then remarked, "they were just being so funny!"

Uh, okay. Not sure what that was supposed to mean! As usual, our conversations made me feel slightly uneasy, but my job wasn't to sit and talk to her; it was to work with Ben, and so off I went.

No comments: